Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Huddle in Rochester Blesses Students and Leaders Alike

Huddle in Rochester Blesses Students and Leaders Alike


Max Berg didn't exactly embrace the new group one of his basketball teammate's parents wanted to start at their home.

"I was skeptical because I didn't know what to expect," Berg says. "I missed the first few, then I went, and I had a lot of fun."

That was four years ago.

Now a freshman at Century High School in Rochester, Max is thankful to have joined a Huddle led by Shannon and Rob Olander. Max enjoyed the Biblical teachings, always coupled with an activity. Max participated in his first mission trip. And he appreciated how he's grown on the court and off the court.

'I was more selfish before. But now I'm more of a team player and don't just play for myself.'


The Olanders lead one of 181 FCA Huddles in Minnesota. 

Shannon says she and Rob are blessed to lead their group, which consists of 10 to 18 young men.

"It's awesome," she says. "There's no greater fulfillment than I have on this Earth than helping others get to know Christ, and watch their relationship with Christ grow. Of all the other things I do, this is what makes me feel best in life. No question."

Wanting to create something for the benefit of their children and their teammates, the Olanders thought a Bible study at their home would be a great way to build relationships and honor God. 

They decided they would host meetings at their home twice a month. 

When they considered a name, their son Stephen suggested a name that paid homage to their church, Family of Christ. 

The decided upon Family of Christian Athletes, a.k.a. FCA.

Later, they met Fellowship of Christian Athletes staffer James Bolin. 

"What you're hosting is basically an FCA Huddle group," James said.

Shannon laughs as she recalls the story.

"We didn't know anything about FCA at that point, which is comical," Shannon says. "We thought we had invented the wheel here!"

But what's happening is no laughing matter: Lives are being changed. 

Recently, the students wrote letters about their experience in the Huddle. 

The insights were overwhelming for Shannon and Rob.

"They're guys, so they're not super communicative," Shannon says. "But their attendance and questions and the fact that they keep coming has to be enough to know that they're growing."

23 comments (Add your own)

1. Glenn Martin wrote:
Congratulations Sean and Tom and others who contributed to this great newsletter.
This is terrific – a real inspiration and a wonderful reminder of the great work God is doing through all of you.
Keep up the great work!

Wed, March 8, 2017 @ 9:47 AM

2. wrote:
Great article.

Fri, March 23, 2018 @ 4:20 PM

3. wrote:
It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this fantastic blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.

Talk soon!

Mon, April 9, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

4. wrote:
I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made
good content as you did, the web will be much more useful
than ever before.

Sat, April 28, 2018 @ 5:47 PM

5. wrote:
Hello my friend! I want to say that this post is
awesome, great written and include almost all important infos.
I would like to look extra posts like this .

Sun, April 29, 2018 @ 1:49 AM

6. wrote:
It's hard to find knowledgeable people for this subject,
however, you sound like you know what you're talking about!
Thanks

Wed, May 2, 2018 @ 5:44 PM

7. wrote:
I believe everything posted was very reasonable.

However, think about this, what if you composed a catchier title?

I ain't saying your content isn't good, however suppose
you added a title that makes people desire more?

I mean Huddle in Rochester Blesses Students and Leaders Alike | Minnesota
FCA is a little vanilla. You should peek at Yahoo's
home page and watch how they write post titles to grab viewers to click.
You might try adding a video or a pic or two to grab people excited about everything've got to say.

Just my opinion, it could bring your posts a little bit more interesting.

Tue, May 8, 2018 @ 3:58 AM

8. wrote:
Hello this is kind of of off topic but I was
wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you
have to manually code with HTML. I'm starting a
blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Thu, September 6, 2018 @ 7:27 AM

9. wrote:
Great goods from you, man. I have remember your stuff prior to
and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you have received right here, certainly like what you are stating and the best
way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you
still care for to stay it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you.
That is actually a great web site.

Sun, September 9, 2018 @ 3:04 PM

10. wrote:
This site really has all the information I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Mon, October 1, 2018 @ 5:40 PM

11. wrote:
Highly energetic article, I liked that bit. Will there be a
part 2?

Mon, October 1, 2018 @ 7:19 PM

12. wrote:
It's an amazing article in support of all the web users;
they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

Tue, October 2, 2018 @ 12:31 AM

13. wrote:
Hi there, its nice piece of writing about media print, we all know media
is a fantastic source of facts.

Mon, October 8, 2018 @ 4:17 AM

14. wrote:
Yes! Finally something about minecraft free download 2018.

Mon, October 8, 2018 @ 5:35 AM

15. wrote:
Howdy, I do think your blog might be having internet browser compatibility problems.
Whenever I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it has
some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you
with a quick heads up! Other than that, great site!

Wed, October 10, 2018 @ 12:09 AM

16. wrote:
I am really loving the theme/design of your weblog.
Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues?
A small number of my blog readers have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.

Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?

Sun, October 21, 2018 @ 10:28 AM

17. wrote:
What's up to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this web site; this webpage
consists of awesome and actually good information in support of visitors.

Mon, October 22, 2018 @ 6:03 PM

18. wrote:
Keep this going please, great job!

Sat, November 3, 2018 @ 10:35 AM

19. wrote:
Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new
to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll
be book-marking and checking back frequently!

Sun, November 4, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

20. wrote:
descargar facebook http://twitter.com/descargar_hq descargar facebook
If you are going for best contents like me, only go to
see this site every day because it presents quality contents,
thanks descargar facebook http://twitter.com/descargar_hq descargar facebook

Sun, November 4, 2018 @ 7:56 PM

21. wrote:
If you would like to increase your experience only keep visiting this website and be
updated with the newest information posted here.

Sat, November 10, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

22. wrote:
Hi to every , as I am genuinely keen of reading this weblog's post to be updated daily.
It includes pleasant information.

Mon, November 12, 2018 @ 7:12 AM

23. wrote:
WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for What Equipment is Needed for
Sling TV

Sun, November 18, 2018 @ 4:39 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Story Archive